Open position at Protection and Preservation of Natural Environment in Albania (PPNEA)
Position: Protected areas and fauna specialist
PPNEA is the first environmental organization in Albania officially established on June 13th, 1991, with a special decree of the Albanian Academy of Sciences at the time. More than two decades after its creation the organization has gained considerable experience in nature and biodiversity conservation, environmental education, promotion of sustainable livelihoods and most recently has engaged with interdisciplinary projects on natural resources management.
PPNEA has greatly contributed to the designation of the Prespa Lakes as a National Park in 1999. In addition, another important of the PPNEA’s success stories is the work towards the declaration of Shebenik-Jabllanicë National Park in 2008 and Korab-Koritnik Nature Park in 2012. The organization has always had a focus on biodiversity conservation by particularly focusing on conserving threatened and rare flagship species. PPNEA has invested substantial efforts on the conservation of the Balkan Lynx – the most threatened subspecies of lynx in the entire European continent – through an international collaborative project undertaken together with MES (Macedonian Ecological Society), KORA and EURONATUR known as the Balkan Lynx Recovery Programme. This project has initiated since 2006 and it is still ongoing in its 4th phase of implementation.
The expert will be engaged with activities relating to protected areas establishment and promotion and wildlife research and monitoring.
Specific tasks include:
- Coordinating and implementing activities related to Protected Areas declaration within the Balkan Lynx Recovery Programme;
- Responsible for the implementation of activities related to the promotion of Munella mountain as the ‘Home of the Balkan lynx’ in Albania;
- To assist the implementation of field activities related to environmental education within the Balkan Lynx Recovery Programme;
- To assist with field activities related to wildlife monitoring and research in PPNEA’s working sites in Albania;
- To lobby on the local and national level for the proclamation of Protected Areas in Balkan lynx territories in Albania.
- To organize and assist the implementation of public hearings, workshops and conferences related to protected areas declaration;
- To monitor work plan and activity indicators for PA strategy and Promotion strategy and prepare short reports for the Project Manager.
Required skills and expertise
- A minimum of five years’ working experience in the field of nature and biodiversity conservation particularly similar to the tasks described above;
- Knowledge and experience related to protected areas declaration and management;
- Knowledge on wildlife monitoring practices and methods;
- Skills in organizing events and meetings;
- Ability to conduct fieldwork and readiness to travel nationally and in the region;
- Ability to maintain very good relations with local stakeholders as well as project partners and donors;
- Knowledge in project cycle management, with a focus on planning, process facilitation, networking, monitoring and reporting;
- Fluent in both oral and written forms of the English language;
- Team-work abilities, efficient time organization and coordination skills;
- Computer literacy.
- Minimum MSc/MA degree in fields related to environment and nature conservation. Additional qualifications (PhD, postgraduate trainings, etc.) and/or experience in interdisciplinary projects will be favored depending on the contributions brought to the above work-requirements.
Terms of employment
This position is based at PPNEA office in Tirana, with frequent travels to the PPNEA’s focus areas in Albania. The position is for one year, with a possibility of extension.
Interested candidates should send by e-mail in pdf format a detailed CV in English and a maximum two-pages cover letter in English outlining their interest in the position and their qualifications by 23 March 2018, to:
Protection and Preservation of Natural Environment in Albania (PPNEA)
Clarification on selection of candidates: Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview. If you have not received a confirmatory email on the shortlisting by 28 March 2018, you have not been selected for further consideration on this position.